We're crowdfunding to support additional demand for musical tuition in Wiltshire Schools. Our music education hub has previously supported approximately 650 pupils & demand continues to grow. We are initially targeting 3 Trowbridge Primaries - Paxcroft, Castlemead & The Mead. All are engaging more pupils in music who need support. They have confirmed they will underwrite 30% of the tuition costs through their own/family contributions. Funding tuition is not a statutory requirement for schools so this not about replacing a reduction in support from other sources. Schools identify pupils who may benefit and who would be unable to take up the opportunity without support. Tuition is provided by quality assured 'Associates’ of Wiltshire Music Connect. Tuition is in Wiltshire schools for up to 33 weeks of academic years 19-20 & 20-21. Lessons are usually 15 mins. Your support will contribute to 70% of the cost of tuition + 100% of instrument hire. #HelpingHand4Music
What we'll deliver:
Why it's a great idea:
Most children in English schools learn to play an instrument through privately funded lessons in school hours. Our campaign specifically supports children who are classed as disadvantaged or vulnerable. Their circumstances mean they: - Don’t get the chance to participate in some activities and are not being able to try things out because their parents / carers can’t afford it or are wary of being unable to support their child’s interest if they start. - They can therefore miss out on finding their niche - the thing that may lift them into a different ‘place’. Without the above they : - Miss out on the subject-specific (in this case musical) benefits and progression. - Miss out on the associated benefits such as confidence/esteem/resilience that help them in their wider education and social development. This affects social mobility and young people's life chances. Our research with Young people tells us music is important to their well-being.
Steps to get it done:
We have been advised by tutors and schools that requiring a small financial contribution from a parent/carer strengthens commitment and engagement. In certain instances, a school (with its overview of a pupil's needs and challenges) may decide to cover the 30% balance through its own funds and we feel it is right to trust in a school's judgement on this. Wiltshire recognises the need to narrow the gap in attainment for these young people.
Post a Comment
Thank you for over 60 pledges and a fantastic £7090 raised so far - that's 90% of our campaign goal! We've now got only a few days left to find the remaining 10%, all in aid of musical tuition for economically disadvantaged children in Trowbridge. Could you help further by asking friends and family to consider a small donation? Pledges can be as little as £2 - all make a difference: https://www.spacehive.com/musical-tuition Thank you for being a #HelpingHand4Music ! 🙌