Heswall Business Association is working with local community groups to bring a real feel of Christmas to Heswall! We are looking at upgrading the lights and have a coordinated switch on event. We are also looking at bringing an ice rink to the town for 4 days from December 3rd to 6th. There will be a Santa's Grotto for the kids and a Christingle service to kick it all off, along with a host of other events run by the local independent businesses in the town. The real reason behind this is to encourage people back to Heswall and build from the huge success of the recent Taste of Heswall Event. Unfortunately, all this costs money. The Business Association usually funds the Christmas lights, but would like to go bigger this year, hence the request for additional funds, along with funds for the Grotto and the Ice Rink! All money raised will help the local community.
What we'll deliver:
- Temporary Ice Rink from 3rd to 6th December
- New Christmas lights on the trees and lamp posts in Heswall
- Santa's Grotto
Why it's a great idea:
The long recession, followed by ridiculous parking charges has hit Heswall hard over the last few years. The recession is coming to an end and recently the council reduced the parking charges to a more reasonable level. We now need to show people what Heswall has to offer. The recent Taste of Heswall event and Super Hero Day went some way to doing this as well as raising over £1600 for Alder Hey Hospital. We now need to build on this to really encourage shoppers back to Heswall and promote shopping locally. The Christmas Event will, hopefully, give Heswall a real identity going into the Christmas period as well as bringing the whole community together at a time of good will to all.
Steps to get it done:
- We have provisionally booked the temporary ice rink for the 3rd to 6th December, pending a risk assessment.
- If we can get the council to look at parking prices in these austere times, we can bring this Christmas event together!
- We are in discussion with a number of professional lighting companies to provide new spectcular light.
- We are in discussion with the council for the site of the temporary Ice Rink
- We are working with local community teams to bring the Chris-tingle service and location for Santa's Groot.