Sauna, cold water and communal bathing all have well-documented mental, physical and social health benefits, which this bath house makes available to everyone. The Hackney Sauna Baths provides a highly crafted facility and experience, that is inspired by the celebrated cultural bathing practices and sauna traditions of Finland, Scandinavia, Baltics, Russia, Central Europe and beyond.
Typically such experiences in the UK are either non-existent, lack authenticity or are behind paywalls of luxury spas or expensive health club memberships. Hackney Sauna Baths proposes an alternative.
Working with an international team of architects, designers and influencers from the exciting new wave of sauna culture emerging here in the UK, our bath house showcases authentic and traditional bathing rituals through our unique facilities.
What we'll deliver:
- Large communal sauna
- Private family / treatment sauna
- Showers and changing rooms
- Cold water plunge pool
- Lounging area, outdoor and indoor
- Treatments and therapies from different sauna cultures e.g. leaf whisking
- Events and training
Why it's a great idea:
- Increased diversity of service based industry to Hackney and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
- Set a high UK standard for modern bath houses.
- Provide needed facilities for the community
- Promote the life-affirming culture of the bath house.
- Education around the importance of deep body cleanliness and formulating good habits.
- Facility for local communities from a variety of groups to maintain traditional customs around family and heritage.
Steps to get it done:
- Finalise Design Concept and Masterplans
- Complete Architetcts drawing. Prepare and submit Planning Application and get consent from relevant authorities
- Groundwork Arrange public consulatations, getting local comunity involvedand services
- Complete Services and technical drawings
- Source building materials and comisison builts
- Start preaparing the site and construction
- Deliver the project and handover to operational organisation
Regular sauna bathing has many documented health benefits, including improving cardiovascular health, mood, and possibly even dementia. Most importantly, taking your time having a few rounds of good sweat, followed by refreshing cold plunges is a great recipe for relaxation, improving mood and cleansing your mind and body off the daily stress. Doing that together, makes it even better.
In the Nordic countries, sauna and public bathing is strongly associated with healthy living, happy citizens, equal societies, strong social cohesion and positive body image. In short, public saunas are places where people from all walks of life can share an experience as equals.
Drawing on the recent successes of Southbank Centre’s Finnish pop-up sauna, the Barking Bath House during the 2012 Olympics and Brighton’s pioneering Beach Box Spa, among others, this project aims to level up the notion of what health and well-being focused public bathing can offer for all Londoners – and inspire the rest.