The Project aims to raise spirits in the run up to Christmas 2020, while providing a lifeline to musicians desperate for paid work
• Participation will be open to all, on a drop-in basis. To encourage participation, there are:
• No auditions – Choir strapline: ‘Come if you love to sing, come if you think you can’t’
• No fees to join or participate (voluntary contributions into Choir's bank account or into a tin at rehearsals)
• Participants have an enjoyable learning experience, singing a range of musical pieces
• No fees to join or participate
• High standards of performance, despite singers who ‘can’t sing and can’t read music’
• Highly skilled, qualified & experienced Musical Director leads the group with a unique set of skills, including humour
• Qualified, proficient pianist, capable of instantly transposing music scores to different keys, to suit the group, & provide appropriate snatches of music to accompany the Musical Director’s jokes/instructions!
What we'll deliver:
- Jolly group singing rehearsals in-person &/or online
- Lively community performances in-person &/or online
- Open to all
- Transport assistance for frail/immobile participants to get to Church St venues
Why it's a great idea:
• The Choir aims to attract new members, so they may experience the health benefits of group singing, while providing paid work to motivate musicians who are in financial hardship due to Covid closure of venues
• Community singing & regular rehearsals have very positive benefits for health, including increased lung capacity, stress reduction, boosting the human immune system & combating isolation and loneliness.
• Training for community performances (including Carols for Xmas Tree lightings) provides a focus for practice & generates additional enthusiasm & improvement, in both physical capability & mental fortitude
Steps to get it done:
- First rehearsal to take place in Nov 2020
- Hold sessions in the run up to Christmas 2020 to raise spirits
- Hold Community sessions to brighten up the bleak January 2021 period
The Project will start as soon as funding is received. We are keen to get started!