The church was built in 1850 to serve the parish of St Barnabas off Pimlico Road. Our strap-line is 'serving and encouraging'. Serving, because we believe the church (its building and its people) should serve the community - welcoming all. Encouraging, because we believe that we should encourage all people to engage with faith issues (whatever their faith, or of no faith). We have a building that is beautiful. It lies in the centre of a specific district and we want to encourage more people to use our spaces. So often people (in general) are looking for a little peace of quite, a space to ponder, maybe to sit and eat their lunch, to get out of the mid-day heat (or during rain) depending on the season, and we want to make your church more easily accessible and inviting.
Our project will enable the creation of an outdoor space where social distancing can be observed comfortably and will encourage those who pass by to come in and rest a while.
What we'll deliver:
- A green space open to the public during daylight hours.
- Somewhere to sit and eat your lunch.
- Headspace - are area to sit and rest/think/be.
- An outdoor space where social distancing can be observed comfortably
Why it's a great idea:
We are often told by people in the community they would like to see us open more. Personal balance and well-being are essential to decreasing stress and anxiety. We have a space that can be used even more that it already is by; residents, local workers, tourists. This historic grade 1 listed building is well preserved but now needs to move into its next stage of development.
Steps to get it done:
- Buying all the containers and soils & positioning all the different containers.
- Buying and planting up (with the support of the community - possibly school
- Seating purchased and installed in the courtyard
- Children and adults using the space
We are also aware we need to think through out signage, and how we signal to the wider community that we are open and all are welcome.
We have a website that is regularly updated with opening times/events/services.