Global Kitchen is an initiative run in collaboration between ArtReach and Soft Touch Arts, both organisations are registered charities specialising in working with disadvantaged communities and supporting health and well-being through creativity of all types.
Global Kitchen will have 3 strands of activity.
1) Refugee and asylum seeker individuals who would like to share their home country recipes will participate in a series of training workshops, alongside a professional chef, in order to learn how to cook in a professional kitchen and how to adapt their recipes to cater for large numbers of people.
2) Participatory meals (free of charge). An opportunity for members of the local community to come and take part / watch the preparation of the food and then sit down (along with the chefs) to share the food prepared - each dish from a different country!
3) The development and production of a Global Kitchen recipe book - containing all project recipes, interesting stories and images
What we'll deliver:
- A series of free, participatory culinary experiences for and to unite the community
- A Global Kitchen cook book - containing recipes, stories and images from across the world
Why it's a great idea:
Global Kitchen unites people from different backgrounds, cultures and countries through food - promoting unity and new friendships though food.
The workshops help to provide training opportunities and improve confidence and well-being for refugees and asylum seekers and the shared, participatory meals help to introduce and educate the broader community about other cultures and communities.
The cook book will provide a legacy for the project and funds raised from book sales will go directly towards future events.
Steps to get it done:
- Global Kitchen will officially launch with its first shared dining experience
- Bi-monthly dining experiences take place
- Recipes, images and source materials will be gathered to help create the recipe book
- A draft of the Global Kitchen recipe book will be prepared
- The Global Kitchen recipe book will be launched
Promoting community cohesion, unity and developing an appreciation of the city's diverse community.