‘The New Fresh Fun Family Shelter Project’ will support aspects of our development plan which includes: refurbishment of the family friendly outdoor space which can be used in all weather by virtue of the addition of the canopy and new floor (among other things, this will support family interaction, learning and creative outdoor play, leisure and recreational activities and hours of laughter and fun for families and volunteers. This project will strengthen Evelyn Parents volunteers drive, to increase its capacity to deliver joint up quality interventions working with local people to improve outcomes for local families. Ongoing consultation with children, parents and partners, plus feedback evaluation of our impact, continues to help us deliver for families and continue to develop community engagement events with other local orgs using this precious resource and the park it stands in.
What we'll deliver:
- Refurbishment: timber framed canopy with apex colourful roof panels, and guttering
- Refurbishment: Soft Ground Mulch with educational graphics
- Increase by 25% the number of local children and parents accessing the service
- Increase access to Park users and community Groups
Why it's a great idea:
This is a great for a number of reasons: since rescuing the local Play Club from closure, we have seen our child poverty rate of deprivation rise from 43% 2018 to 49% 2019 in Evelyn Ward - In consultation with local people they communicated the need for a more robust family-focus provision, a space for existing and new families to meet, break down barriers and work together to address many of the disadvantage they face. Our volunteers provision started with 20 families and has increased to 650 local families over 4 years! We have a national ALMO award for "Best resident led community initiative 2016" : We continue to increase social connections, relieve isolation, well being and community engagement. We work with families to deal with many of the challenges they face – this include unemployment, debt, fuel and poverty. This provision is Mon-Fri, volunteer led, with parents actively engaged in all aspects of the organisation’s work. Creating stronger families for stronger Communities!
Steps to get it done:
- Arrange date for install and plan removing old marquee party!
- Refurbishment of outdoor space: Canopy and Wet pour surface replacement
1. Increase well being, learning and family connections as a result of newly improved family friendly outdoor space
2. 20% increase in the volunteering opportunities with the organisation
3. Safer and more cohesive families (existing and newly arrived) working together to address local problems
4. Improved local amenity space for park users and community groups