Beckenham Green could be so much more than it is - not just a place to cut through en-route to your destination.
2018 will see completion of the largest investment into the Beckenham public realm for 30 years. The Beckenham Improvement Scheme seeks to improve the amenity and footfall of the Town Centre. To compliment the scheme we must also invest in the local community to enhance the vibrancy of our town.
We want to create a ‘community commons’ in the heart of the town, on Beckenham Green. 'Commons’ are cultural and natural resources open to everyone. Beckenham Green is our natural resource, but it is underused and requires landscaping and recreational improvements. At the request of community groups Bromley Council are funding a Stage Canopy on Beckenham Green. This will be a great cultural focal point. To get the best use out of it we need to additional equipment to enable a diverse range of community groups to run activities on Beckenham Green.
What we'll deliver:
- Temporary tables and chairs for events
- Family activities and games
- Portable equipment to support various events
- Temporary traditional market stalls
- Storage unit for the community equipment
- Improved landscaping and planting on the green
- Nature trail and community garden
- 2019 season of community events, minimum of 8
- Support for local groups to run events and activities, including online support
- Improved lighting
Why it's a great idea:
There are so many great local groups, clubs and organisations with a huge range of interests and lots of great ideas for engaging with the wider community. Running community activities however large or small can be costly due to the need of hiring or buying and storing various equipment.
This project will purchase a variety of equipment that community groups can use, it will provide support and guidance for running events, it will improve the green and make it better for holding events and ultimately it will deliver a more vibrant town centre with diverse recreation and entertainment offer.
Steps to get it done:
- Planning permission for storage unit
- Purchase of and installation custom storage unit
- Sourcing and procurement of portable equipment
- Develop and implement project maintenance and legacy structures
- Initiate project team and liaise with community partners including BID to develop and implement 2019 suite of events
- Build online space, branding and promotion for project and events
- Develop and implement plan for family activity equipment with Council and Id Verde
- Develop and implement plan for improved lighting with Council and Id Verde
- Develop and implement plan for horticultural improvements with Beckenham Green Friends and ID Verde
- Create online, downloadable nature trail once new planting established
- Develop and implement ongoing out-reach and feedback mechanism with community groups and the wider public
In 2019 we will work with the Beckenham Town Centre Team and BID to curate a season of events and activities to showcase what is possible.
Such events may include: enhanced community market, expos to support local business and start-ups, evening concerts, open air cinema, community action days through-out the town, art workshops, yoga classes, have-a-go sports, heritage talks and much more. There are endless possibilities!
Community organisations across Beckenham are welcome to work with us to put on activities and events, large and small, for local people and businesses.