Clayworks London will offer clay making resources, equipment and the opportunity to learn making with clay in a supportive environment. It will bring back into use an otherwise underused space in the heart of Tower Hamlets and work towards supporting makers to develop projects into small scale sales through a pop up shop. The space will be a friendly, accessible environment, promoting mindful making, collaboration and experimentation. It will aim to offer affordable classes with 50% of places reserved for anyone experiencing mental health issues. Members will be encouraged to help shape how the project develops and will be pioneers in promoting better mental health for Londoners.
What we'll deliver:
- Open up an otherwise underused, accessible space in Tower Hamlets
- Refurb and reinvigorate the space for use as a membership clay room
- Provide equipment and resources to enable members to learn and practice skills of making with clay
- Run taster classes open to the local community
Why it's a great idea:
Clayworks London will be an affordable resource open to all to include those who would otherwise not have access to these kind of activities. Its foundations will be built on the notion of 'making by hand' being a positive force in our wellbeing. We know that one in four people experience some kind of mental health difficulties at some point in their life and Clayworks aims to raise awareness and move away from internalising mental health as only relevant to a few. Ultimately it will act as a role model for collaborative, integrated projects and evidence better use of buildings and spaces that wider communities can benefit from.
Steps to get it done:
- Getting the space ready for use
- Buying and installing additional equipment to enable more users
- Getting information out via social media to invite first members
- Selecting and inducting members
- Planning weekly workshops
- First successful Kiln firing
- Evaluating through feedback at three months and six months
- Offering beginners classes to the community
- Recruiting volunteers from the first programme to support running second programme
Clayworks will help members develop channels to sell works they make with a percentage of sales going back into the project to continue supporting others.