We propose to bring a series of Pop-up Carnival performances to local housing estates, care homes and communal spaces in Spring 2021.
Government has declared that the ‘Rule of 6’ will be in place for at least the next 6 months, which means that all large-scale outdoor cultural events, including Autumn/Winter Carnival Parades, will be cancelled.
We want to bring the excitement, colour and fun of those large events to local people in local spaces in a way which will entertain and delight, but still working within Public Health guidelines and keeping performers and audiences safe.
Our Pop-Up Carnival performances will be playful, yet professionally managed, featuring a small number of highly skilled Carnival Artists, working alongside our local team to offer a truly memorable experience that will transform local places and brighten everyone’s day.
Audience numbers will be strictly limited, so we will film & stream each performance, so that it can be enjoyed by people from near & far
What we'll deliver:
- 6x Pop-Up Carnival performances across 2 days
- live musical accompaniment
- livestreamed excerpts broadcast via Social Media
- highlights film shared on our YouTube Channel
Why it's a great idea:
1. Improved Wellbeing: Winter is tough for people living with poor mental and/or physical health, &/or a low income, as it is harder to get out & about in the cold months. This 'winter blues’ effect will be magnified by extra restrictions due to Covid 19.
We know that communal cultural events improve mood and inspire people to be creative, even after the event itself has ended.
2. Improved social interaction: this event will encourage people to come outside & watch from their front garden, their doorstep, their balcony or window, bringing people together as part of a shared experience. These kind of events have been hugely restricted during the global pandemic, leading to increasing feelings of isolation and loneliness.
3. Better cohesion: Carnivals are multi-ethnic & multi-generational, both in terms of participants & the audience they attract.
People tell us that they feel inspired watching our Carnival Parades.
4. Carnival transforms places & people & promotes unity!
Steps to get it done:
- All Performers contracted
- ‘Show’ devised
- Rehearsals completed
- Performers arrive
- Risk Assessments signed off ( First Safety Action Group Mtg organised for Jan 2021)