Burnt Orange Theatre bridges the gap between youth theatre and professional theatre, offering any young artist a stepping stone into the theatre industry, regardless of their economic or social background.
This project delivers weekly sessions to young people in south-west London who are interested in acting, directing, designing or producing. The sessions develop and hone their skills and experience, and provide a room which champions and celebrates their ideas, voices and opinions. The project will also provide regular opportunities to showcase their work.
Burnt Orange place young voices and narratives at the centre of our work. This project will; develop each young artists' unique voice, support personal and social development, build confidence and enable learning opportunities from professionals in the theatre industry within the young artists' specialisms. These sessions are provided for free, so that cost will never be a factor in restricting a young person's involvement.
What we'll deliver:
- Weekly rehearsals sessions and development opportunities with professional artists
- Opportunities for local young artists to showcase their performance, direction or design at a professional theatre.
- Engagement with local community members through local performance opportunities
- Connecting young people to the wider, larger theatre industry.
Why it's a great idea:
A Burnt Orange Young Company offers professional performance opportunities for young artists working in Hammersmith and Fulham for free, removing cost or social background as a limiting factor.
Our young members are at the centre of our process and our work explores and discusses their role within society today. The members develop their skills and abilities as work each week to stage performances created by them. This champions their voices and offers empowering opportunities to have their opinions and view points heard.
We work with young actors, directors, designers and producers who are seeking to develop their skills, and we partner with industry professionals to provide tailored and original support on a weekly basis.
We bring together young artists from diverse backgrounds and encourage collaborative, creative work, that pushes boundaries and challenges expectation. All while building confidence, self-esteem and making new friendships and networking opportunities.
Steps to get it done:
- Planning and development meeting with the Burnt Orange team
- Initial workshop sessions to gain interest and build a company
- Planning and development for a new term with the Burnt Orange team
- Continued running of weekly sessions for the academic year 20/21
- Performance opportunities on a half termly basis