It will be a Social Enterprise in the form of a Limited Company that sells locally produced items to support local craftspeople and small businesses to develop and grow. It will be a beautiful, relaxing community space to be enjoyed by residents, a much needed change from the pound shops and bookmakers that currently occupy Catford High St. My shop will aid the regeneration of the local high street by creating a beautiful shopfront and inviting window display. This will encourage similar businesses to open as we have seen in Hither Green, Lee and Forest Hill, in turn this will encourage footfall back into Catford High Street and Rushey Green.
Already there is HUGE local support from local residents on my Facebook page and Local Councillors are following my Twitter feed. I have also started a Wordpress blog to keep supporters updated.
I have located ideal premises on Catford Broadway and with plenty of internal space to develop and grow the business and make it sustainable.
What we'll deliver:
- Completely refurbish the premises inside and out using my own time
- Create a database of local independent suppliers who want to be involved in the project
- Furnish the shop and make ready for opening
- Employ local people ensure Equal Opportunities are excersised
- Create an accessible for all, child friendly space, disabled access and toilets
- Advertise the concept on various Social Media platforms
Why it's a great idea:
See the comments on my Spacehive page , they speak for themselves ! My Facebook page (Truly Splendid Vintage style Living) has over 200 followers at the time of writing this, also starting to get some attention from the local press, There is nothing like this in Catford or Lewisham and this is an ideal time to introduce such a business to an area that is currently undergoing regeneration.
Upon entering Truly Splendid you will hear nostalgic sounds of yesteryear playing while you drink tea and eat delicious homemade cake served on vintage China.
A range of locally handmade items, vintage clothing and shabby chic furniture will be on sale alongside beautiful giftware, homewares and other items, handmade by local people.
There will be an area for sellers to hold workshops, this could also be offered at a discount for Project Funders as an incentive.
The Local community are really keen for this project to become a reality and support is growing daily, they WANT this shop to open.
Steps to get it done:
- Sheer determination and passion
- a database of local Independant suppliers
- Through crowd funding on Spacehive and a pledge from The Mayor of London's High Street Fund
- A well thought out and researched business plan
- Previous experience in the Retail and Foodservice sectors
- With ever growing local support -thank you
- Ideas to develop and grow the concept to ensure sustainability , possibly incorporating an Ofsted registered creche
We will commit to working with local charities including SIGNAL and The Ella Roberta Family Foundation, including making regular donations from profits.
We will offer a child friendly environment which will encourage local parents to feel welcome. Plans to develop the enterprise include incorporating an Ofsted registered Crèche (subject to planning permission) to address the lack of quality casual childcare in the borough . Encouraging local groups to use our space for their get workshops and meetings to continue building the community centered approach in Catford to support regeneration.
Provide an accessible environment and facilities for people with Disabilities.
An Ideal premises has been located in Catford, I am currently awaiting confirmation that the lease terms have been accepted.
If for any reason the project fails to deliver will refund all donations.
ANY SURPLUS FUNDING WILL BE USED FOR THE RENOVATION OF THE PROPERTY.