We want to develop a number of activities, based on community need. These include; to provide support for Afghan and non-Afghan communities, reduce isolation, develop an information network for young people so that they hear about employment opportunities and to encourage integration by running activities involving people from other cultures and backgrounds.
Through our community activities we also want to raise awareness of legal issues, health, and the right to participate in civil, social and educational activities in UK. Additionally, we want to encourage Afghan women living in the UK to create working relationships with each other.
We are committed to
• Encouraging achievement in sport and arts fields
• Increasing motivation and confidence
• Young people supporting one another
For this we will organise many events spread across the year.
Our overall vision is to stablish a confident, outward-looking Afghan community.
What we'll deliver:
- Encouraging women to gain valuable skills to become more independent and confident in their daily lives
- Highlighting the achievements of other Afghans by inviting them to our events to encourage and motivate the youth
- Providing football and fitness activities linked to providing information on healthy lifestyles
- Providing master classes and skills workshops which will promote linkages across cultures;
- Developing skills and providing performance opportunities for young Afghans in music and other performing arts areas
- Inviting local prominent figures to give information on education, social life and employment opportunities etc
Why it's a great idea:
Many Afghans feel excluded from British society due to their lack of language skills and other life skills. This is why they are not aware of the many opportunities that are present to help them towards inclusion. By bringing them together with other Afghans, they can share their struggles and experiences and use them towards becoming more successful towards integration. By meeting other Afghans that have many achievements and are recognised in British society will give them confidence that the same is possible for them. Another important group of our focus is Afghan women who often lead a secluded life limited from any social interaction by their lack of language skills and other life skills. We aim to bring these women together in order to create a network for them through which they can find out about educational, social and employment opportunities.
Steps to get it done:
- We will engage with people by regularly updating our Facebook page and notifying people via flyers and text message
- Initially we will organise 3 events each year on the Afghan main cultural days such as New Year, Eid and Women's Day
- We will identify a place of gathering such as a community hall which can become our meeting point for forthcoming events
Ultimately our main focus is on the youth and their future. We hope to instil British values such as community participation and appreciation of surroundings. We want to discourage the youth from following the paths towards violence, crime, extremism etc. If these men, women and youngsters realise that they can be of positive use to society they will work harder towards the success of that society.