We are currently in the process of bidding for the Library from Ealing Council. In the event that we are not successful in obtaining use of the building, this crowdfunding campaign will be closed and no pledges will be collected.
This project is to repurpose the building’s original role as a community destination. Gifted to the people of Acton, it has stood empty for over five years. It is ideally placed to be redeveloped as the community hub it was intended for.
This crowdfunding project aims to fund the initial feasibility/design stage of the wider project to install the cinema
The cinema (managed by the Arthouse Crouch End team) will have two screens, a café and a flexible performance area. The upper floors (managed by ACAVA) provide flexible space for a variety of artistic projects.
What we'll deliver:
- The crowd will be funding the infrastructure of our campaign - without which there will be no cinema
- We will be funding planning permissions and preparations for the re-purposing of the building
- Make a compelling destination that attracts people from outside the borough.
- Give a vital spark to the regeneration of the High Street and the night time economy
- Ultimately provide a much-wanted local cinema offering a programme with a wide appeal.
Why it's a great idea:
Our organisation has grown out of local concern for the fate of the old library on Acton High Street in the heart of Acton and we have a great deal of community support for the proposed cinema.
Acton is an area of West London, with a population of 62,480 recorded in the census of 2011. A population which has evidently increased substantially in the intervening years with a considerable amount of local residential development. Our project is a great idea because it will enhance the infrastructure for the residents.
Our social purpose is to benefit the area’s residents and visitors by providing a vibrant space in the heart of the High Street. This project will boost the local economy by offering employment/training opportunities, and will promote community cohesion by providing a welcoming set for residents - night and day.
Steps to get it done:
- get the lease drawn up in our name
- get planning permission for the project
- get completed architects drawings
- get the building works started
- establish our cinema
Our project will supply something that is currently missing from Acton. In addition to a cinema we will also provide affordable space for local artists, local charities and SMEs supporting local industry and creative start-ups.
- The historic building will be saved from further deterioration
- It will provide an welcoming setting for all
- It will revive the night-time economy
- It will encourage the arts and local artistic activities
- It will mirror the success of the developed adjacent Town Hall - now a sports centre.
- It will provide opportunities for volunteers and employment.
- It will impact positively on the local economy by improved footfall and occupancy in the High Street.