Making Aylesbury Vale the best possible place to live and work
'The Next Step' will provide homeless, vulnerable young people with accommodation for up to a year and a bespoke support package to help them transition to sustainable independent living. We have already received commitment from supporters to fund 87% of the project costs. We plan to raise the remaining 13% via a combination of grant funding, corporate sponsorship, crowdfunding and fundraising events £10 pledge = food & toiletries pack £25 pledge = counselling session £100 pledge = employment skills course £450 pledge = room + full support for 1week Whilst our current response to youth homelessness - Aylesbury Nightstop, is a successful solution to the initial homelessness crisis, it does not always solve the longer-term accommodation problem. In about 50% of cases, there is NO NEXT STEP for these young people and so they remain homeless. This is why it is vital that we raise the last £31k needed to deliver this life-changing project for the young people of Aylesbury Vale.
What we'll deliver:
Why it's a great idea:
Over the past year, at Youth Concern in Aylesbury, we’ve had 84 young people come to us who are facing a homelessness crisis. We believe passionately that every young person needs a safe home. Plus support and guidance to get themselves back on their feet. Our "Next Step" project aims to do just that. Provide young people facing a homelessness crisis with a safe home for up to 1 year. Plus wraparound support focussing on health, skills, employment and resettlement. Youth Concern will also offer these young people counselling to help them with emotional issues and a business mentor to support them into work or education. Our supporters, the Thomas Hickman Charity, has purchased premises for us. We will renovate this building to create a 10 bed shared home. We are crowdfunding for the funds to support the young people in our care with counselling, life skills etc. We are also applying for grants in parallel so we can offer a full support package to up to 20 people a year.
Steps to get it done:
We have found a beautiful property which The Thomas Hickman Charity has offered to buy for the Next Step project to be run from. With the help of a fab organisation called COSPA/VIY we will convert the building from a 5 bed to a 10 bed home. And some of our young people will be involved in the conversion work, earning themselves qualifications in the process and gaining valuable employment skills. Youth Concern has been supporting vulnerable young people for nearly 40 years. So we know how to help and empower young people who are vulnerable and struggling. We have good relationships with other organisations locally who can also offer support to these young people, to give them a real chance. Crucially, we have the passion & commitment to make a difference. To be there for and respond to young people when they need us most. The “Next Step” project will be a lifeline for young people experiencing a homelessness crisis. And it will save public services money in the long run too.
Post a Comment