The Hammersmith & Fulham People's Theatre company gives anyone and everyone living or working in the area a chance to be involved in a big, new theatre show. Maverick was established on a council estate in 1994 to increase access to the performing arts. It's won numerous arts awards and critical acclaim for its work in attracting new audiences and participants to what is sometimes seen as ‘high’ culture. In 2002, Maverick produced the first ‘People’s Company’ theatre production in B'ham to great critical and audience acclaim. We now want to upscale and repeat the project - in the borough of H&F!
It works on the basis that ANYBODY who wants to have a go at theatre - acting, dancing, backstage, music, social, finance, film or producing - can join in and be tutored FOR FREE whilst doing so by some of the top practitioners from the National Theatre, the RCM, the RSC, etc, to work with the company and increase their level of skill and talent.
It is a unique Pro-Am cooperation.
What we'll deliver:
- To create a new, top-quality, large-scale professional play with music, written, produced & performed by the community.
- To attract major creative talent to work with all the communities of Hammersmith and Fulham.
- To sow the seeds for further productions including new, community-based plays and comedies.
- 1 hour 'taster' discussion workshops in Pubs, Schools, Community Centres, etc
Why it's a great idea:
The Peoples Company will work on the basis that ANYBODY who wants to have a go at theatre - acting, dancing, backstage or production - can join in and be tutored for free. Fees are paid to top actors and top practitioners from the National Theatre, the Royal College of Music, the RSC, etc, to work with the company and increase their level of skill and talent.
It's a unique Pro-Am cooperation. Most importantly, this is an open project - no auditions - and anyone can get involved at any level, young and old. And not just actors, but backstage, producers, musicians, sound designers, lights, costume, set build and design, painting, web design, social media, marketing and even chaperones for a kids company!
Everyone involved gets world-class training from top practitioners who agree to take a training or mentoring role as part of their contract. And it’s all free for the company! All that’s needed is a desire to make a play and get involved. We want funding to make this happen.
Steps to get it done:
- Advertise our production and calls to action to all community venues, pubs, clubs and schools in Hammersmith and Fulham.
- Begin booking general Q and A sessions and Acting workshops in the community
- Write the new work, using online technology to form the basis of the story.
- Appropriate companies and start rehearsals
- Employ theatre professionals for key roles in teaching and mentoring.
What makes this different and unique from any other ‘normal’ theatre production in London is its unique starting point. Content will be decided by the community. Its open access and exceptional level of free tuition for all those involved will reach out to those who view theatre as somewhat elitist and irrelevant.
We will visit community centres, clubs, pubs, offices and workspaces with 1-hour intro workshops and advertise for participants wherever the community gathers. We will hold open meetings and invite involvement at all levels. We hope to create a real sense of community cohesion and achievement, not only from the participants but all of the borough.
Rehearsals and planning for the show will take place in the evenings and weekends to make it easy for participants. The performances will feature low ticket prices and relatively short runs.
We hope to create a real sense of community cohesion and achievement not only from the participants, but a wider London audience.