East London Makerspace (ELM) is the development of REED a project co funded by EU. ELM aim is to develop unused garages/ space into a makerspace to serve as a hub for the community to develop and produce eco products, offer training, skills and jobs to the local community. ELM will provide a space for the design and production of eco products offer a furniture Collection, restoration and resale for the community. It will provide a platform for eco designers, and disadvantaged young people from the community . to offer advice and help to launch careers, it will provide visibility and mobility for young people in the community to:, foster creativity and entrepreneurial activity, whilst encouraging new circular economy business models and market development . Introducing sustainable business models to the local community for sustainable social enterprises, pop up shops, a meeting space and artist studios - providing workshops, training, skills, and jobs for the community.
What we'll deliver:
- create a future makespace and workshop space
- run workshops with disadvantaged youth for the local community
- Create jobs and career opportuniities
- cut down landfill
- educate community about circular economy and new business models and to set up social enterprises
Why it's a great idea:
it is an innovative circular economy new business model make innovative use out of waste and reducing landfill. It provides a hub for the community whilst offering training, skills and jobs for disadvantaged young people and offers the opportunity to setup new social enterprises with a circular economy ethos and teaches young people and the community about circular economy business models.
Steps to get it done:
- Secure Premises - Contracts, Legal documents, Insurance, Public Liability Design drawings etc
- Renovation & Installation
- Machinery, Equipment,
- Staff Costs - Workshop provision, Recruitment, Training and production
Help turn an empty unused space into a creative hub for the community. Help disadvantaged young people learn new skills and access training. inspire a new generation of eco friendly makers, designers and circular economy economy entrepreneurs.