Many of our very special deaf and autistic children are now at home, but we want to be able to provide some continuity in their lives. Using IT and video technology, we can deliver lessons to them, and create a social network, so that their normal routines can at least be partially kept going. Most importantly at this time, for our children, keeping in touch with their friends and their teachers is so important to prevent the loneliness and isolation that many of them must be feeling right now. Please help us to raise the money we need to be able to purchase the IT equipment that we will need to make this happen.
What we'll deliver:
- Deliver educational lessons using British Sign Language, remotely, using IT/Video links
- Create social networks using the same IT/Video technology to prevent social isolation
Why it's a great idea:
All of our children are deaf, or autistic, or disabled in a way that hinders their ability to communicate with others. They come to us, so that we can provide the special education they need and so be able to live useful, happy, productive and independent lives. Without the support network that we provide, our children will struggle, not only educationally, but also socially. Our children need to connect with their friends and teachers much more than most because of their difficulties. The solution is simple; home education through IT and video technology. The systems already exist; so we can provide lessons to continue their education and set up video chat rooms, so that British Sign Language users can talk to each other. These two simple things will provide much need support and continuity for the children and greatly assist parents to keep our children safe and secure.
Steps to get it done:
- Purchase laptops, encrypt and install software
- deliver and instal IT into homes and instruct student and parents on its use
- Test the connection for the delivery of lessons and social chat rooms
- create a record of users, attendance, lessons delivered
- collect and evaluate feedback from parents
Many of our children come from homes where the IT needed to deliver this isn't readily available. And many parents have been placed in a situation where spending money on a laptop and broadband, is simply out of the question. With your help we can put this right.