Local Connections Fund
We have a substantial fund to support small scale local projects - good ideas that can have a real impact locally.
Projects we're interested in funding
We want to support as many ideas as possible and can pledge up to £5000 to do so. What is it that would make a difference to your local area and bring people together? How could you make that happen?
Ideas could include BBQs to music gigs, community planting projects to street murals, community tea times and community cafés.
While we are open to what kinds of projects are created, to get a pledge from the County Council, projects should transform or use a shared or publicly accessible space in Essex, and enhance and bring communities together.
The outcomes of our fund
The Essex Crowd is all about bringing people together behind good ideas that communities want to see happen.
We want to see local people creating projects and see their ideas come to life. Communities where people feel more empowered, less isolated and more connected.
The Process - How do I get a pledge?
Through the Essex Crowd, you'll have the opportunity to ask friends, family and neighbours to back your project with a pledge. If you can demonstrate community backing your project through support for your campaign, you may also get a pledge of up to £5,000 from the council.
This is not a regular grants programme so we have included a brief overview of the process below:
- You create a project page on Spacehive outlining what your project is about - www.spacehive.com/create
- You are matched and can pitch to the council crowdfunding funds - for more information see here.
- Your project is verified - your costs and permissions are checked.
- You start your campaign - begin by getting lots of small pledges from the community to show community need and support.
- When you are at around 10% of your target (and/or when you have a good number of backers from the community) the Council will assess your project and the support of the community and decide whether or not to pledge to your projects.
- Please note - the council will not be the first organisation to pledge as they are waiting to see the support for the project from the community before pledging.
- The amount of money the council will pledge will depend on the size of your project, the impact your project will have and the community buy in. The pledge will never exceed 50% of your target.