Plant Art runs plant based workshops with kids in Lambeth, making fun art from discarded plants and flora. Please help us to expand so that we can take our workshops all over Lambeth to those kids that don’t get a chance to interact with nature. To do this we want to buy a Green Goddess Fire Engine and convert it into an extraordinary mobile art room so that we can provide kids with natural arts workshops in their locality. We will also run an under 14s Arts Award accredited Floristry course and ‘’Learn To Earn’’ under 24s crafts to market course. Our flowers are free as they are allotment or floristry shop rejects. We have now found the perfect 1956 Green Goddess Fire Engine in Shropshire. It is MOT and emissions exempt and has very low annual insurance costs. Please help Lambeth get Greener with the Goddess! and help us raise £9774.95.
What we'll deliver:
- • Buy a1956 Green Goddess Fire Engine and convert it into an arts workshop with sinks and workspace.
- Draft a route map and a full diary of regularworkshops launch events.
- Target groups of underprivileged kids and families in Lambeth.
- Run classes for children and mums under 12, unaccompanied refugees children and asylum seekers
- Run fun days in Lambeth's growing communities and local green spaces
- • Find more volunteers and contribute to the volunteer network for community groups
- Organise natural sculpture walks for families.
- Run accredited classes for under 14s and under 24s
- Act as a promotional vehicle and bridge for Lambeth’s green initiatives.
Why it's a great idea:
The London sustainable development commission produced a report that said‘1 in 7 of London’s families has not visited a green space in the previous year and this figure is estimated to be much greater in underprivileged areas like Lambeth, which is in the 10% most deprived areas of England as regards poor health. This report also said ‘engaging with nature promotes healthy development of childrens’ well being, better values and a better positive environmental attitude’. The message is very clear that children must get outdoors much more than they do, The Goddess mobile art room with a large outdoor area under a canopy can carry bring many of the elements of the outdoors to these kids and offer families excursions to urban green spaces, To enjoy and learn about nature in a mindful and creative way will mean less disaffection and more caring and better adjusted children in our borough.
Steps to get it done:
- • Use ‘experience tourism’ - exchange pledges for rides in the Goddess, workshop spaces or Maypole dances!
- • We will consult with Lambeth's green organisations after school clubs and community groups, ‘friends of’groups’
- We will consult with libraries, Brixton Youth Co-Op LEAP (Lambeth Early Action Partnership, Natural Thinkers.
- We will consult with Lambeth Forums and Lambeth council.
- create intensive social media coverage to track The Green Goddess and to encourage participation.
- We are working with Creative Sparkworks about delivering Arts Awards, the Learn to Earn courses
- The Goddess already has a booking with The Lambeth Country Show
- The Goddess will feature at Father Nature's sleep over in Myatts Field Park
The key thing about Plant Art is that it relies on the presence of the Green Goddess Fire Engine, as it is such an iconic vehicle. It will be as eagerly anticipated by Lambeth’s kids as the ice cream van! Decked out with natural forms it is an impressive statement about the importance of nature