We are developing an app that can be used for any park to renew and reinvigorate the relationship between individuals, communities and their local green spaces. We want to inspire communities to own their parks and enable individuals to better engage with the local resources of their parks, explore multiple activities and even contribute to the park’s local history. We believe the mypark app will enrich the user experience of parks and make parks more accessible and inclusive for all.
What we'll deliver:
- We will deliver an easy to use mobile phone app that will include the following functions:
- A fully functional and interactive map of the park
- Provide park users with information about activities in the park
- A “message board” for park users to announce events and discuss issues of local interest
- Inform park users about the facilities of the park and basic information about the park (opening times, etc.)
- A “fix my park” feature which will enable individuals to report areas of the park that need attention
- A “suggestion box” where park users can make suggestions for the park
- A “meet up/check-in” function that enables users to meet each other and find users with similar interests
- Provide a historical introduction to the park and its features
- Provide nature & historical “trails” for users to discover their park and it’s natural features
- Enable users to develop and upload their own trails and activity suggestions for other park users
- Allow users to contribute their own local historical knowledge to create a “citizens’ history” of their park
- Provide activities for “citizen scientists” to contribute to the understanding of their park's natural world
- Provide information about local volunteering in the park such as gardening, sports teaching, giving tours, etc.
- Provide information promoting healthy lifestyles and activities in the park, such as jogging routes and sports
- Develop an “augmented reality” feature which enables park users to “see” the past, present and future of their park
- Provide individuals with information about their nearest park, wherever they may
- Allow local businesses to encourage shopping locally
Why it's a great idea:
In this time of austerity government investment in parks is declining rapidly and many worry that our parks may fall into a state of disrepair not seen for decades. This is why we are developing the mypark app to bring power to the people to improve and make better use of their local parks! We believe that the mypark app will enable individuals to have better relationships with their parks and to bring together the communities who use the park.
Parks are generally a greatly underused national resource that we think can be helped along with a little bit of easy-to-use technology.
Using parks will also promote healthy living for a healthier people and a few simple tips on how to use our parks better could make a huge difference to people's health!
Steps to get it done:
- Build the basic design of the app by hiring a full time app developer
- Hire a business development and content manager who will:
- Research local history and nature to initially populate the app
- Determine how to best promote the various features of the park to its users
- Provide support for users and stakeholders to improve the app