What is the Hub?
The Hub is a small building on the grounds of Griffin Primary school in Wandsworth. The area is impoverished, highly built-up, and home to a diverse range of communities who need a chance to get out of their houses, meet people, and get some self-esteem and independence.
We're already running regular courses out of the building, and the ladies who come are getting everything from help setting up their own businesses to support seeking mental health assistance. The problem is that the house and grounds were neglected when we took over, and we need to make them over into the space the community needs and deserves.
The ladies of the Hub love the space, and are making impressive use of what we offer - but with funding, we can offer a lot more. The better the space, the stronger our outreach, and the better for the whole community. We expect to reach an extra 50 mothers as a result of this funding.
What we'll deliver:
- Create a gardening club, who will sustain a green space in a highly built-up area of London
- Upgrade our office equipment so we can run admin out of the building
- Brighten up the building to create a truly welcoming space
- Fund further courses, reaching more women in South London
Why it's a great idea:
For an overwhelmed mum, just getting out of the house can be an achievement - but what if you live in a neighbourhood with nowhere to go? A study published in 2017 by Young Women's Trust found that 26% of mums leave the house once a week or less. The mums of this community need somewhere that's free, fun, safe and consistently there for them so they can break out of their isolation.
With the Hub meeting its full potential, we can provide a base for cross-community friendships and teach skills to women who often feel a lot less capable than they really are. When mums need to touch base and get their wellbeing back on track, YMSN is there for them.
London is also desperately short of green spaces. We will run a gardening club that maintains a biodiverse space that will be a benefit to the whole community, providing a base for outdoor activities as well as improving the environment.
We're here for the mums of South London, and we'd love you to be there with us.
Steps to get it done:
- February 2019 complete the office and admin set up
- March 2019 complete the garden upgrade
- April 2019 first course commences under this programme
- May-June 2019 second and third courses
- July 2019 complete training
- July-September 2019 courses 4 & 5
- October 2019 review and report
We expect to reach an additional 50 young mothers over the next 12 months using this funding and ensure that our overall business model meets the required standards of governance and efficiency.