Aleka House is adjacent to Havelock Primary School and Dairy Meadows Primary School and has been in a state of disrepair for many years. Sadly the site had become the focal point of anti-social behaviour, drug usage, fly tipping and has attracted street sex workers. The building is currently managed by the Havelock Family Centre and we have used our volunteer input to make the site safe and clear of waste and refuse.
Our exciting community hub proposal will transform this underused land and building into a key community asset that can be used by residents of this very deprived area. The TYS investment will refurbish Aleka House and improve the safety and security of the site for local users. The visual transformation of the site will create a safe and welcoming facility that can attract children and families and reduce the social problems faced by tenants of the estate.
What we'll deliver:
Why it's a great idea:
The Havelock Community Hub will be a major asset to the Norwood Green ward because of the improved appearance and security on site and also because of the many new services that can be delivered from the building.
Key benefits :
- Improved community access in an area of high deprivation and social isolation
- reduced safety and ASB concerns because of the new security features
- providing green space around the building that can be used safely by children and elderly from the estate
- the Hub development will complement the social regeneration of the Havelock Estate
- improving community cohesion by providing a venue where people from different backgrounds can meet, interact and learn from one another
Steps to get it done:
The Havelock Community Hub is an innovative use of land to develop a facility that can :
- offer advocacy, advice and support for very marginalised communities who cannot access advice elsewhere
- community education and training for employability skills, free Wi-Fi access, language and IT classes
- healthy lifestyle workshops, yoga and physical activity sessions and counselling to improve health and well being
- provide targeted therapeutic services for individuals, children and families with parenting workshops, creche and informal support groups
Our overall vision is to have a well used Community Hub that offers integrated services for the whole Havelock community and builds the confidence of people to interact with their neighbours, improving cross community understanding and cohesion
Post a Comment