We are awaiting a lease on the building & need to apply for planning permission. In the unlikely event that this is not secured, no money will be taken from backers.
When I Grow up is an innovative, inspiring and creative hub for families and the community to come together to create a home-from-home environment and a support network.
The play space will be made of natural materials such as dens and cubby holes made of wood, and rope and nets for climbing.
The space is created for little ones and designed for grown ups. It will make it easy to spend time together and create networks with space for buggies, changing facilities, and a menu that makes healthy eating easy.
The hub will offer creative classes, events and workshops such as bug hotel making, Pollock-inspired art classes, baby massage, gardening, parenting workshops, candlelit yoga, evening craft workshops, to name a few!
Just £2 will go a long way to make this project a reality for Barnet!
What we'll deliver:
- Design a state-of-the-art bespoke natural play space to encourage creative, active play
- Fit out of the property-laying a new floor, installing a bar, upgrade kitchen facilities, new toilets
- Installation of the play area
- Decorating including signage outside, painting, wallpapering, furniture
- Hiring and training of staff
- Connecting with local volunteers/businesses to collaborate using the multi-use community space
- Launch party!
Why it's a great idea:
The project meets the needs of the community in Barnet, in particular families, in an innovative way. Personal experience as a local mum and market research in the area has proven that there is a demand locally with a lack of support and places to go despite it being a family-dense area!
It will transform the high street which has never fully recovered from the recession. It will act as a hub for local people and there will be a focus on supporting local and loving your local area. We will promote community activity e.g. group litter picks, local walks.
The family hub will somewhere for the local community to meet in a clean, safe, inspiring and supportive space. It will encourage an active and healthy lifestyle and make it easy to eat healthily by having an inventive, appealing menu for children and grown ups alike.
The hub will promote creativity and give the community access to classes and workshops they might not otherwise had access to.
Steps to get it done:
- Work with the play provider on designing bespoke play area for space October 2018
- Fit out of the property including new floor, installing bar, upgrade of kitchen, toilets January-April 2019
- Install play area once it's been built in February 2019
- Decorating including painting, wallpapering, signage, furniture March 2019
- Hiring and training of staff and volunteers March 2019
- Connecting with local people and businesses to collaborate on the multi-use space January-April 2019
- Launch party opening night in April 2019!
£20 - When I Grow Up tote bag
£25 - If you have a child under 5 we would love to have their handprint as part of a mural/wall feature in the hub
£30- A voucher for £5 to use in the hub
£50 - Invite to our launch party
£500 Name on founders plaque