The vision is to create DRM that can be used in all lighting conditions and is safe for cyclists and motorcyclists to ride over that can be used to replace road markings that are time limited but remain compliant with TSRGD. Ultimately DRM could be used for Tidal Flow/reversible lanes without the need for unsightly gantries.
What we'll deliver:
- • Any system would likely need type approval from Department for Transport.
- • Must be able to sustain a high volume of heavy vehicles and corrosion and water-proof
- • Must not cause a skidding hazard for any road user and must not be a slip or trip hazard for pedestrians.
- • Must not significantly reduce ride quality for road users travelling over it.
- • Solution must be directional so that it does not create additional light pollution for residents
- • The device must be durable enough to have the road surface replaced around it without it sustaining damage
- • The lighting solution needs to be visible to motorists in all light and road-lighting conditions
- • The Unit must be able to remain on constantly for 24 hours a day
Why it's a great idea:
The project will reduce congestion and improve road conditions for all travellers
Steps to get it done:
- The project is sponsored by Bromley Council and supported by Transport for London and TRL Ltd.
Students wishing to submit a design proposal for this project must register and download the detailed project brief here: https://spacehive.com/Initiatives/intelligent-community-challenge?Tid=hive-100-6c1f11da