We've picked a site for our Community Cultural Quarter, had initial discussions and keeping our fingers crossed that we are able to secure it soon, with your support to this campaign! We'll keep you updated.
We’ll reopen a closed shop in West Ealing & create an amazing diverse retail & artistic space offering a range of community engagement art activities accessible to all promoting inclusion, mental & physical wellbeing & independent living within the area. It will be a place where we can meet old friends, make new ones & express ourselves. We’ll be able to learn about the area’s diverse culture via exhibitions, classes & events curated by the community for the community.
The front will be a retail unit selling affordable mobility equipment, refurbished on site by our team of apprentices under the guidance of a qualified mobility engineer. The shop will be the first of its kind in the area.
What we'll deliver:
- Apprentice training for 16-25 yr olds with mental/physical disabilities to boost skills and build confidence
- Volunteering opportunities to enhance operations in the arts workshops and mobility recycle shop
- A mobility shop stocked with 100% upcycled equipment which would otherwise go to landfill
- A diverse arts programme that celebrates and shares West Ealing's diverse culture
- A place for people to come together, find their voice and play a positive role in our community
- Employment training qualifications such as first aid and health & safety in the workplace
- Collaboration with local organisations to maximise the use and opportunity of the Community Cultural Quarter
- Additional footfall to the area potentially providing existing business extra custom
- A workshop to refurbish/upcycle/bling mobility equipment
Why it's a great idea:
The Community Cultural and Wellbeing Quarter will ensure West Ealing is totally accessible and inclusive. People will see that it is somewhere that promotes independent living, celebrates and shares culture. It will create a vibrancy in the area and bring about real change in West Ealing.
People and organisations we have spoken to so far share the aspiration to help the West Ealing neighbourhood accommodate the influx of hundreds of new residents, deal with the effects of the ongoing massive regeneration projects and ensure the heart of the community prospers for the good of all.
“A centre to encourage physical and mental health wellbeing is such a good idea, combined with the art space. Having an organisation to teach people employability skills is amazing. I see so many patients struggling to get back to work after being ill or made redundant. This would be of great help to us. This centre would have our full support.” Dr Jane Livingston
Steps to get it done:
- Secure premises
- Make building fully accessible
- Recruit new staff members
- Refine art course contents
- Begin marketing and start selling equipment
- Recruit volunteers
- Run taster sessions
- Recruit participants to art courses
- Recruit new members to the Shop Mobility Scheme
- Analyse and Evaluate sales figures
- Programme exhibition calendar the year
We have 100 days to create a vibrant community cultural quarter and we need YOUR help!
We need as many people as possible to get involved, establish the Community Cultural Quarter and help realise our vision. The project will bring huge benefits to the West Ealing community and the people of Ealing. Your support will create a wonderful community asset for future generations
You can help by:
Pledging funds towards the project
Getting involved as a volunteer
Poet in residence - someone to use words to help describe the journey of the Community Cultural Quarter
We need a social media champion to spread the word about our fundraising, share videos and look after our growing audience
No matter what your skills or experiences we want to hear from you! This is our chance to take control and change our community for the better, so if you want to make a difference, join us and donate today. THANK YOU
Visit www.ecil.org & www.openealing.com for more info and some fab rewards for pledging!