Located in Chester, this training and hiring service will enable those with long-term health conditions/disabilities and mental health issues to access areas that they might find difficult to reach with a standard wheelchair or scooter, such as the countryside, the beach, mountains and The Rows of Chester city centre. Chester Wheelers ‘Walking Wheelchair’ will not only improve the health and well-being and advance their social skills, as they connect with like-minded individuals, but will also help to promote the acceptance of all forms of Wheels as mobility aids throughout our society. Demonstrations, skills training and trial sessions will ensure users can confidently and safely handle the all-terrain wheelchair prior to hiring.
What we'll deliver:
- All ability, all-terrain ‘Walking Wheelchair’ trike hire.
- Skills and confidence training, trial sessions
- Storage facilities
- Transport accessories
- Bespoke trips and social events with Chester Wheelers
Why it's a great idea:
Social benefits, being able to access a variety of locations with friends and family; join in school trips and/or meet and make new friends as a result of being able to join in accessible cycle rides.
Physical and mental health benefits such as improve respiration, from being in the open countryside and enjoying the fresh air, as well as engaging in gentle upper-body exercise, as a result of using the lever action propelling system, unique to the all-terrain wheelchair.
Steps to get it done:
- Purchase one ‘Walking Wheelchair’
- Purchase accessories
- Demos/presentations in education establishments, inclusive cycle centres, retirement homes, day centres, Cycle grps
- Promote through social media video blogs, radio, activity centres , GPs, hospitals, physiotherapists, rehab centres.