Our project aims to extend the cobbled wall housing the original half Pit Wheel from Baddesley colliery, adding a Davy lamp to commemorate the closure of the mine and loss of lives in the 1882 colliery disaster. The wheel and lamp will be a dedicated memorial to mining and specifically to the 4 men remaining below ground. The site is considered the centre of the village and is also the site of the old Maypole pit shaft. We will add 2 benches to the site and the wall housing the wheel and lamp will become a memorial wall, something families can pin tallies to in remembrance of there and their families service down the Pit. The benches and memorial will create and develop a dedicated centre (landmark) for the village where people can visit, reflect and sit awhile. Alongside this development a bid has been made to Heritage Lottery to preserve memories and photos of local mining to include a dedicated website, 4 walks highlighting places of interest and key mining heritage locations.
What we'll deliver:
Why it's a great idea:
Local retired miners have asked for a lamp to both preserve the mining heritage of the village but also in memory of the men who lost their lives down Baddesley pit, in particular the 4 men still underground following the mining disaster in 1882. Adding the Davy lamp and the miners tags to the site will create a lasting memorial for those who served down the pit and their families, will be a place to visit, sit and to remember. Alongside the development of the lamp there will also be a dedicated website with 4 commemorative walks, photographs and videos from local archives, interviews with miners by pupils from local primary schools and points of photographic and written interest like the history of the old viaduct, the pumping station, black path etc. The development once completed will keep stories alive across generations in a community previously developed as a mining village and will provide a heritage context for new families moving to the area.
Steps to get it done:
Baddesley has over 200 years of mining history the last mine closing in 1989. As the village develops and demographics change we see our mining heritage being lost, fewer miners attending reunions due to ageing, illness and death, their stories and memories dying with them. We feel it important to preserve our mining heritage highlighting how the pit and key architectural landmarks have shaped the village As stated the memorial Davy Lamp will be erected alongside the original half Pit Wheel from Baddesley colliery, directly in front of the Old Maypole Pit Shaft, commemorating the closure of the mine and loss of lives in the 1882 colliery disaster. The wheel and lamp will be a dedicated memorial to those men and boys working above and below ground in Baddesley pits and specifically to the 4 men remaining below ground. As part of this bid we have pledges of support from local voluntary sector organisations and from our local Church, and Merevale and Blythe Estates.
Post a Comment