Help us expand 55 East Community Hub to reach 1000 people over the next 12 months. We need to employ a part-time manager to run 55 East and engage with our local community and we need to make vital upgrades so the space becomes secure, accessible and welcoming.
We launched 55 East in November 2017, following the successful conversion of 3 empty shops in the heart of East Street Market. 55 East Community Hub features 3 distinct spaces: a co-working space for 30 people, a community cafe and an event/retail pop-up space.
Since November we have run 250+ events for 1000+ people (with over 80% of people living under 10 minutes away). We have trained over 80 entrepreneurs to launch or grow their businesses and have served over 2500 cups of coffee.
But it wasn't all plain sailing. We raised funds in November to launch 55 East for 10 months and these funds are now exhausted. In addition, running the space brought up so many building-related challenges that we want to address now.
What we'll deliver:
- 1 years salary to employ a part-time 55 East Hub Coordinator (£16K incl employer on-costs)
- Improve security (shutters) and access to the 3 spaces (Smart Locks)
- Build the visual identity on East Street (Awings, vinyl on all 3 spaces)
- Kitchenette Units and Water Points (in Studio and Lounge)
- 55 East Kitchen/ Cafe Upgrade (flooring, surfaces)
- Rentable kitchen crookery (for outside hire, hosting events)
- Installing bike racks for 55 East customers, co-workers
Why it's a great idea:
55 East is located in East Walworth ward (Southwark), an area amongst the 10% most deprived neighbourhoods in the country. Our space is on East Street Market, one of London’s most iconic and oldest markets, having existed in some form since 16th century. However, the local community fabric has been under attack especially with the demolition of The Haygate Estate and Ayeslbury Estate and the eviction of 5,000+ people.
Thanks to a long-term lease from Peabody Housing, we aim to establish 55 East as a space for the local community and for our entrepreneurs, providing them with event-, work-, training-, retail- and pop-up space.
We have piloted 250+ new events and activities inspired by the local community: a Christmas market for local makers, female boxing classes, Charlie Chaplin film night, refugee cookery classes and so much more.
We know we can unlock the full potential of 55 East with a part-time 55 East Hub Coordinator and making vital improvements to the space.
Steps to get it done:
- Recruit and employ an amazing 55 East Manager (part-time)
- Improve security (design, install shutters) and improve access to the 3 spaces (install Smart Locks)
- Improve visual identity (install awnings, window vinyls, deliver local marketing campaign)
- Upgrade 55 East Studio & 55 East Lounge with kitchenette units and water points
- Upgrade 55 East Kitchen flooring, surfaces and storage solutions
- Install 5 bike racks close to 55 East
- Purchase 55 East Kitchen crockery
Hatch Enterprise, the charity behind 55 East, has taken on the premises in 2017, after an intensive conversion of the 3 under-used shops.
55 East is an independent community business, a venture that has the local community at its heart. We work with locals to bring about new events or pilot new initiatives.
In the last 10 months, since opening, we have:
- Delivered 5 entrepreneurship programmes to 87 young entrepreneurs (20), social entrepreneurs (25) and female founders (42)
- 250 events for 1000+ people (with over 80% of people living within 10 minutes).
- Employed 5 people (3 baristas, cafe manager, care taker; 3 of them local). Partnership with Well Grounded to employ previously un-/ underemployed people as baristas
- Worked with 30+ volunteers
- Launched 10 social enterprise/ charity partnerships, selling socially-good products at the Cafe (Change Please, Kokoa, Hempen) and deliver joint events
- Delivered 4 arts exhibitions with local artists (e.g. Tale of 2 Southwarks)